Cheap, easy, and long-lasting, instant noodles have become a quarantine staple for most of us. Many of those who’ve been practising their #shef skills have also found ways to upgrade their instant noodle meals. Looking for your next dish to create? Try out this okonomiyaki instant noodles recipe!
What is okonomiyaki?
If you’re a fan of Japanese cuisine, you’re probably familiar with okonomiyaki and the whole process of preparing it. After all, most restaurants specialising in this dish allow its customers to cook the dish themselves. (We’d sit before tables equipped with teppan (iron griddle), order the toppings and fillings we want, and spoon our personalised okonomiyaki ourselves!)
Preparing okonomiyaki is an experience in itself. While traditionally made of batter and sliced cabbage, this savoury pancake encourages creativity among its consumers. Literally, okonomiyaki translates to “as-you-like-it pancake” — people can include whatever ingredients they can think of!
Some popular fillings for okonomiyaki include octopus, shrimp, pork, or kimchi. Besides the traditional okonomiyaki sauce and Japanese mayo, many consumers also top the dish with wasabi, cheese, and bonito flakes.
How to make okonomiyaki instant noodles
- 1 cup of instant noodles
- 1 egg
- 80g cabbage, diced
- 3 tbsp flour
- 100ml water
Okonomiyaki instant noodles recipe
- Transfer the instant noodles into a plastic bag.
- With a rolling pin (or another sturdy object), pound the bag to crush the noodles.
- Transfer crushed noodles to a large bowl.
- Add in the egg, cabbage, flour, and water. Mix well.
- Add the packets of seasoning and other dried ingredients into the mixture.
- In a lightly greased pan, spoon in the mixture.
- Cook both sides until golden brown.
- Serve with toppings of choice.
This okonomiyaki instant noodles recipe only proves that the possibilities are endless for this Japanese staple. Hope you enjoy this easy and quick recipe!