They say one man’s trash is another man’s treasure. But what if we told you that your recyclable waste can actually earn you extra cash? A rewards points system and recycling initiative, the Trash to Cashback program in Metro Manila gives you cashback points in exchange for clean, recyclable waste such as single-use plastic, metal scraps, and even paper products.
The Trash to Cashback program is a tie-up between waste management company Basic Environmental Systems & Technologies, Inc. (BEST) and cashback loyalty platform bXTRA Philippines.
How does it work?
Waste management poses a huge problem for the Philippines — and with concentrated populations in Metro Manila, all the more so in these areas. The concept is simple: Trash to Cashback gives people incentive for properly disposing of recyclable waste through responsible segregation. So, trash for cash? Here, it’s very much possible.
The innovative folks at BEST and bXTRA have come up with a system that determines the cashback points you get depending on the following:
- Type of recyclable waste you collect from your homes or workplaces
- Total weight of the recyclable trash you drop off (minimum of 1kg).
The image above will give you an idea of the type of recyclable waste accepted by Trash to Cashback. Note, though, that rates might change without prior notice. Generally, BEST and bXTRA will take in plastic, paper, and metal waste for as long as you bring it to them clean and neatly packed. Cleaning and drying your waste will make for a better sorting experience — for you and the staff who will weigh and collect your trash at the drop-off points.
For more information on exchange rates as well as types of waste allowed, check out this Trash to Cashback primer.
Also read: JuanBag Picks Up Your Plastic Waste for Free
How do I start?
Interested? Of course you are! Who wouldn’t want to help save the Earth while earning on the side? Trash to Cashback steps are easy:
- Segregate at the source, whether it be your home or workplace. Clean your waste and group by waste type. Be guided by Trash to Cashback FAQs. Remember, no caps and labels.
- Register with bXTRA here. Simply put, bXTRA is a cashback platform that allows you to spend your earned cashback in one convenient online hub. You will need your bXTRA account to redeem Trash to Cashback Environmental Points at partner stores and restaurants or their in-house mobile grocery. Feel free to browse through the website if this is your first time to hear about bXTRA; acquaint yourself with all the cashback options on the site!
- Find a drop-off site near you and download a drop-off form for filling up at home so you save time!
- Head to the sorting centre to drop off your recyclable waste, have it weighed, and redeem your Environmental Points aka cashback points. Alternatively, you can also download the My Basurero App to have your recyclable waste picked up. BEST and bXTRA encourage this option, though, for community initiatives or group pick-ups to help them lessen the energy expended to collect the trash.
- With your cashback, you can choose to make a donation with bXTRA, or use them to purchase groceries. You can even buy yourself a little treat from partner restaurants or food brands! Milk tea and french fries, anyone?
Fun fact: The local government of Quezon City has already partnered with Trash to Cashback. QC residents may find drop-off points easier in their neighbourhoods. Check here for more details.
Join the Trash to Cashback movement today!
With Trash to Cashback, it’s definitely a win-win situation. You get to celebrate your own personal win — for being financially wais, and for making an effort to save the environment. Don’t forget to tag us in your Instagram posts when you start your #TrashtoCashback journey!