Those who’ve experienced (or are uncomfortable with the idea of) RT-PCR swab testing may now avail of saliva testing with the Philippine Red Cross (PRC). As of 25 Jan 2021, this COVID-19 test is exclusively being offered by the PRC in two venues: the Logistics and Multi-Purpose Center in Mandaluyong and the laboratory in Port Area Manila.
RT-PCR saliva testing for COVID-19
Saliva testing has become quite a sought-after alternative to swab testing, as it is both non-invasive and less expensive. The test is currently offered at ₱2,000, and may still be subject to price decreases should more people avail of it. A study conducted by the PRC also found the test to be 98.11% accurate.
By early February, the PRC is expecting all 13 of their molecular laboratories to become saliva testing facilities. They are currently waiting for the results of validation tests of the Research Institute of Tropical Medicine before opening more testing labs across the country.
RT-PCR saliva testing for COVID-19 is quick, painless, and does not require direct contact with the conducting health personnel. Patients must not eat, drink, gargle, smoke, or vape 30 minutes prior to testing.
To collect their specimen, the patient will simply have to rinse their mouth with a saline wash, then spit into a sterile vial. Results will be released within three to four hours.
How to book your RT-PCR saliva test with the Philippine Red Cross
Booking and payment for saliva testing with the Philippine Red Cross can easily be done online in just a few steps:
- Select your preferred date, time and venue. Then, click ‘Book Now’ to add it to your cart. Each slot is 10 minutes long.
- Click ‘Checkout’ and choose between two payment options, GCash and GrabPay.
- Wait to receive a confirmation email. You will also be sent a link to the e-CIF form, which you must fill up before your appointment.
- Make sure not to eat, drink, gargle, smoke, or vape 30 minutes before your appointment.
- Be at your appointment venue 15 minutes ahead of time for verification and security check. Please wear a face mask, face shield, and bring a pen and proof of payment.
- After testing, wait to receive your test results via email or track them via this link.
To read more about saliva testing with the Philippine Red Cross, click here.
Featured image credit: Philippine Red Cross | Official Facebook Page