When we think of white sand and glassy waters, we instantly imagine beaches in Boracay, Palawan, or Bohol. But this time, an underrated beach in the Philippines is getting all the attention. On 12 Apr 2021, a US-based travel magazine named Pagudpud’s Saud Beach one of the “25 Most Beautiful Beaches in the World”.
“If you’re searching for Southeast Asian beach bliss, super-mellow Saud Beach on the island of Luzon is a sure thing,” they wrote.
The magazine further applauded the destination for its white sand that “pitches gradually into the clear-as-glass water, like a real-world example of a zero-entry swimming pool.”
Joining Pagudpud’s Saud Beach are beaches from Hawaii, Australia, Cape Town, and The Bahamas.
Pagudpud’s Saud Beach is the friendliest beach for pawikans
Early this year, Saud Beach was also named “the friendliest beach for sea turtles in the northern Philippines”. Last February, at least 13 baby pawikans were released into the oceans of Barangay Saud.
According to the Philippine News Agency, “the Saud marine turtle hatchery contains at least three nests.” Locals noted that they’ve spotted a number of pawikans laying their eggs along the shores of Pagudpud.
Where to stay in Pagudpud
Interested in visiting Pagudpud’s Saud Beach? Then, it’s worth noting that Barangay Saud is not as densely populated compared to other coastal areas of the Philippines. However, there are still accommodations in or around Saud Beach that travellers can book. Here are just a few of the most highly-rated Airbnb listings in Pagudpud.
Resorts, hotels, and hostels
- Quad Sharing Superior Room
- DitTo, Yucca B,for 4 pax (Beachfront Resort)
- Pagudpud • RVS Staycation Studio 1
Private bungalows and homestays
- Roq’s family Room for 8 with pool
- Roq’s Place Saud room for 4
- Villa Jeica
- EJ’s homestay room for rent 2
- Allen’s Homestay
Travelling to Ilocos Norte during COVID-19
According to their latest updates, the Provincial Government of Ilocos Norte has relaxed its COVID-19 travel restrictions. As of writing, Philippine residents of all ages are allowed to visit the region. However, residents of ECQ and MECQ areas are NOT allowed to travel for leisure at the moment.
All eligible travellers are required to:
- Register via the Ilocos Norte Tourism Office Official Website.
- You will be required to present one valid ID and a confirmed booking in any of the accredited accommodations in Ilocos Norte.
- Generate a SafePass QR Code.
- Present a negative COVID-19 test result taken within 72 hours upon arrival.
- Note: On 7 Apr 2021, the LGU announced that they are now accepting the saliva RT-PCR as an alternative to the nasopharyngeal RT-PCR test.
- Proceed to the tourist triage to validate health declaration forms and other documents.
- Follow the health and safety protocols of the province.
Undoubtedly, the Philippines is a treasure trove of tropical wonders. And while many of them have been widely celebrated internationally, there remain a number of underrated beaches, like Pagudpud’s Saud Beach, that deserve our attention. We can’t wait to explore more of the Philippines once it’s safe to travel again!
Featured image credit: Michael Edwards from Getty Images via Canva Pro